Eliminating the Gender Pay
Gap in the State of Alaska
In May of 2014, YWCA Alaska’s Board of Directors passed an expansive resolution to eliminate the gender pay gap in the State of Alaska by 2025.
Women across the nation are paid just 78 cents for every dollar paid to men- and in Alaska the numbers are even worse. At an income average of 67.8 cents to the dollar, putting us in 48th place in the nation for pay equity, Alaskan women are in need of a change!
Businesses, organizations, nonprofits, and individuals from around Alaska have endorsed our goal of eliminating the gender pay gap in Alaska by 2025. Check out our current list of endorsers to see who is standing up for pay Equity!
Year Two Report:
YWCA Alaska released a report in January of 2017 highlighting our progress in the second year of the EconEquity Initiative. To download the report and learn more:
YWCA Alaska’s Gender Pay Gap Initiative will work to transform Alaska’s workplaces to not only guarantee women are paid equally to men, but to also ensure women are provided more and better opportunities to participate in the workforce at all levels.
The Initiative uses a groundbreaking three-element approach:
- Focusing on the economic impact of the gap rather than the social injustice of unequal pay.
- Intentionally avoiding legislation or political routes as the main solutions to the problem.
- Implementing a 2-pronged approach focused on changing the economic, educational, and social dynamics that contribute to the gender pay gap.
- Working directly with businesses and organizations to create gender balanced workplaces.
- Furthering the education of women and girls on issues related to career choice and salary negotiation.
YWCA Alaska believes these are the necessary steps towards effectively changing the current rates.
How You Can Help:
Sign | sign the endorsement (CEO/Board Chair of company/organization)
Fund | directly, or through introductions & funding suggestions
Volunteer | join the Think Tank
Join | become a supporter of YWCA Alaska
Educate | talk to others
Current Endorsers Include:
BP Exploration Alaska
Providence Health & Services Alaska
Anchorage Economic Development Corporation
Alaska Governor Bill Walker & Lt. Governor Byron Mallott
Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz
Anchorage Chamber of Commerce
Bristol Bay Native Corporation
Alaska Miners Association
IBEW Local 1547
U.S. Representative Don Young (R)
U.S. Senators Lisa Murkowski (R) and Dan Sullivan (R)
National Education Association-Alaska
Gloria Steinem, International Activist
Wendy Davis, Former Texas U.S. Senator